When I first heard of passion fruit, I was expecting the fruit to be a deep red color, you know, like the color of passion. Boy was I surprised when I saw it and then tasted it. I’ve come to really enjoy the flavor of passion fruit: it’s sweet and a little tangy. I also love the color. It gives any drink a unique and vibrant twist. Combine that with the flavor and you’ve got a winning combination for a drink.
Passion Fruit Cosmo
Most people are familiar with the regular Cosmo as made famous by Sex in the City. This is a fun twist on the traditional cosmo. It’s got most of the ingredients in a regular cosmo, just switch out the lime juice for passion fruit puree and you’ve got the recipe for a newer/improved cosmo.
- 1.5 oz citron vodka
- .75 oz white cranberry juice
- .75 oz triple sec
- .75 oz passion fruit puree
- .5 oz simple syrup
- Cocktail shaker
- Martini Glass
- Add all the ingredients into the bottom of the cocktail shaker
- Fill with ice
- Top the shaker and then shake vigorously for 3-5 seconds
- Pour into a martini glass and enjoy!
Passion Fruit Rum Punch
The old rhyme goes, ‘One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak.’ Most people are probably familiar with the overly sweet rum punch that you get at bars that come in a bright red color. Well this is definitely not going to be as sweet and will certainly knock you off your feet. The rum and passion fruit mix really well together. This recipe is based off the actual recipe in the West Indies.
- 0.5 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1.5 oz gold/amber rum
- 2 oz passion fruit puree
- 4 dashes bitter
- Cocktail shaker
- Collins glass
- ground nutmeg for garnish
- Mix all ingredients into the shaker.
- Top with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 3-5 seconds.
- Pour all contents into a collins glass
- Garnish with a sprinkle of ground nutmeg and enjoy.
No, not a martini, a different take on the traditional Bellini. Rather than using peach puree, try adding a little passion fruit puree to really make the champagne flavor pop.
- 1 oz passion fruit puree
- 4 oz prosecco or sparkling wine
- Champagne flute
- Edible flower for garnish
- Pour the passion fruit puree into the empty champagne flute
- Slowly pour the prosecco into the flute being careful not to overflow.
- Garnish with edible flower. Enjoy!